Friday, Lauren, Caroline, Michaela, Paige, and I made plans to spend the day in Tigre. However, my other friend Liz invited me to stand in line for an hour and a half to get tickets to a free show in el Teatro Colón, the third best opera house in the world, and how could I pass that up? After a long morning of waiting and acquiring tickets, I killed time by perusing a book store before meeting my friends at the Retiro train station at 11:30. I should add that as a result of that perusing I am now the proud owner of all three Lord of the Rings volumes, bound together in one gigantic book that I proceeded to carry around the rest of the day. Once we were all assembled at the train station, we boarded the commuter rail and headed off to Tigre, our full day reduced to just the afternoon.
Once arrived, we first headed to Puerto de Frutas, an outdoor market that sold very little fruit. In fact, the only fruit I saw turned out to be just baskets of magnets shaped like fruit. We had lunch at an outdoor stand and wandered around the stalls for a while. I was coerced into buying chocolates because I have no willpower. The time passed quickly, and we soon realized we weren't going to be able to fit in all the fun activities. We left the market, and headed over to the Museo de Mate. Five small rooms were crammed with thousands of mate artifacts, and we watched an interesting video about mate production with terrible English subtitles. Afterwards, we intended to take a commuter bus boat vehicle down the river, since the main attraction of Tigre is the surrounding delta, but the tourist info desk informed us that the last boat left in a couple hours and it wasn't worth our while. It just means we'll have to take another day trip down to Tigre!
| Río Tigre |
Saturday, I spent the day preparing for the Churrasco Caroline hosted for us. Churrasco (not pronounced like it's spelled) is a Brazilian barbecue; ours consisted of grilled chicken, chorizo, veggies, rice, a special black bean dish called feijoada, and a passion fruit cake, the last made by yours truly. I had hunted down the passion fruits a few days before, and whipped up the cake the morning of the big event. It was an insane amount of food, and my share of leftovers has provided me with three lunches so far. Somehow the five of us managed to eat the entire cake, though.
Sunday was the day of the concert in Teatro Colón. I met Liz outside the door a little after 10:15, and we waited in line for the doors to open. Liz's Argentine friend came along too. The theater was ornate and classy as expected, and the music very beautiful. I'm not a huge one for concerts -- I fall asleep way more easily than appropriate -- so all I can say is that I found it quite enjoyable.
| Outside of the theater |
Next weekend, I venture out of the city to the end of the Earth -- Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego. I'm so excited I can't even describe it, so look out for tellings of that next adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment